Nimbo = Rain.
Status = Layer.
Cloud forming a thick uniform grey layer at low altitude, from which rain or snow often falls (without any lightning or thunder).1. Google Search and Oxford Language Dictionary
Question 01: What is Nimbostratus?
Nimbostratus is a multi level low altitude cloud which is known for producing rain.
Question 02: How to identify a Nimbostratus cloud?
It is very simple:
- You will see it during Monsoon.
- It will appear as a dark cloud.
- It will not produce any thunderstorm.
- Mostly covers entire local sky.
Question 03: What are the major characteristics of a Nimbostratus Cloud?
The characteristics f a nimbostratus clouds are as follows:
- It is a dark cloud.
- The cloud is dense.
- It appears in multiple levels.
- The cloud is known for producing continuous rain.
- It doesn’t produce thunderstorm of hailstorm.
- A thin layered Nimbostratus may rain for a many hours in a day.
Question 04: Which cloud is similar to Nimbostratus?
Cu_mulonimbus is similar to Nimbostratus, because it also cause rain. Although, it is a vertical cloud which also produces cyclone, thunderstorm, hailstorm and and other weather phenomena.
Question 05: How are nimbostratus clouds formed?
The formation of this cloud is very simple.
- Warm front.
Water evaporates > Vapor travels to upward > water condensing occurs > rain occurs
Low pressure area creates during summer > the moisture rich air from high pressure area (ocean) travels to fill this gap > air travel to upward > air condensing occurs > rain occurs.
Cyclone or occluded front
- Nimbostratus forms due to cyclogenesis.
Question 06: What are the importance of these clouds?
It is the backbone of agriculture for a country like India and Bangladesh.
Question 07: What are other low level clouds?
Nimbostratus is a low level cloud, the other low level clouds are as follows:
- Stratus cloud.
- Cu_mulus cloud.
Question 08: Can we see Nimbostratus during winter months?
- Yes, and with returning Monsoon.
Question 09: How does nimbostratus forms, vertically or horizontally?
- Like cu_mulonimbus, It is formed vertically.
Question 10: What is the altitude of this cloud?
- The altitude of Nimbostratus is 500 – 5,500 m.