Types or categories of medicines in veterinary science
This page includes some general categories of medicines used in veterinary science.
|Medicines for||Cattle (cow and buffalo), goat, sheep, dog, and other farm animals|
|Diseases||Major and minor cattle diseases|
Note: Always use these medicines as prescribed by a veterinarian
Also read: Best Animal Husbandry Book Hindi
Categories of medicines in veterinary science
- The primary source of antibiotics is bacteria. These are antibacterial drugs.
Examples: Penicillins, streptomycin, chloromycetin.
- Antiseptic medicine are used to suppress the growth of bacteria
- They don’t kill a bacterium
Examples: Boric acid and iodine.
- Antipyretics reduce the fever
- These are also known as febrifuge
Examples: Aspirin, salicylic acid and quinine.
- These medicines reduce the irritability of nerves to subside pain.
Examples: Camphor and aspirin.
- Antizymotics check the fermentation of the wound. These are also used in flatulence and colic diseases.
Examples: Formalin and boric acid.
- Antipuritics help in reducing the itching.
Example: Carbolic acid
- Antiflogistics reduce swelling
- These are also effective in pain
Example: Plaster of antiphlogistic
- Antistomachics form gastric juice.
- It checks coughing out.
- Antidiurentics reduce unrine.
Examples: Insulin and adrenaline
- Removes anxiety and turbidity
- Removes parasites present in the stomach.
- Hexachlorothane is an excellent dewormer
- Vermicides kills parasites present in stomach
Examples: Copper sulphate, ferrous sulphate, and nicotinic acid.
- By feeding them the animal becomes unconscious
Examples: Chloroform and ether
- Antidotes reduce the harmful effects of poison
Example: Iron salt in case of cyanide
- These are volatile oils
Examples: Ginger, fennel, and peppermint.
These are medicines that improve the nutrition of animals. It is given when the animals are more weak.
Examples: Iodine, mercury, magsulf, lever oil, sulfur, etc.
Also read: Scientific Way of Goat Farming
Categories of drugs (medicines) in veterinary science
- Expectorants expels cough
These medicines create contraction in mucous membrane, blood vessels and tissues, and stop secretion. Astrigents are absorbent when used externally.
Examples: Opium and chloridine.
These are bitter in taste. Herbals are raw parts of the different plant species.
Examples: Sarpgandha, cinchona.
- These are anti-gastric
Examples: Fennel, asafoetida, coriander, red chili, ginger, etc.
- Caustics destroy the tissues
Examples: Copper sulphate, caustic soda, zinc sulphate, carbolic acid, etc.
Disinfectants destroy bacteria. These are also used to clean a farm such as formalin.
Examples: Potassium permanganate and chlorine.
- Dressing of wound
Examples: Zinc oxide and boric acid.
- It is used for cleaning
Examples: Detergent powders and shoap.
- To fade away strong smell
Examples: Bleaching powder and phenyl.
- It causes more urine
Examples: Urea and potassium nitrate.
- These causes irritation
Examples: Various acids.
- These cause vomiting
Examples: Sodium chloride, copper sulphate, zinc sulphate, etc.
- Galactagogues are used to yield more milk from farm animals
Examples: Sulfur, iodinated casein, thyroxine, etc.
- Haemostatics check bleeding
Examples: Ice, alum, tincher benzoin, etc.
- Causes sleep
Examples: Bromide and chloral hydrate.
- Cause of deep sleep
- Indifference in blood circulation
- Parasiticides destroy skin parasites
Examples: Acetic acid, copper sulphate, phenyl, etc.
- It causes diarrhea in animals
Example: Magnesium sulphate
- These supply nutrition to animal tissues
Examples: Cod liver oil, vitamins, etc.
- These are used to preserve food materials
Examples: Boric acid and spirit.
- Refrigerants are used for cooling the outer surface of an animal’s body
Examples: Ice and ammonium chloride.
- Sialagogoues increase the amount of saliva in mouth
Also read: Dairy farming tips