Cattle Age Judging Method
Age Judging in Cattle or Cattle Age Judging Method is an essential part of cattle purchase. There are many methods of age judging of cattle. Before buying any cattle such as bull, bulluck, cow, or buffalo, it is necessary to have knowledge about age judging methods. In this post we will know about the different methods of Age Judging of Cattle.
Post: Cattle Age Judging Method
|(1). By register|
|(2). By the shape of animals|
|(3). By the shape and size of udder|
|(4). By hoofs|
|(5). By horns|
|(6). By teeth|
Also read: Best animal husbandry book Hindi
(1). By register
- This is a simple method.
- It is popular in dairy farm.
- These registers have the records ranging from pregnancy period to the date of delivery and so on.
(2). By the shape of animals
This method tells about the total age of a cattle, but it is difficult to predict exact age of the cattle.
Major determining factors are as follows:
- General physical structure of a cattle.
- Shape of the cattle body.
- Small and fit ears means young age.
- Big and loose ears are the indications of being old-age.
- Soft and stretched skin means young age.
- Rough skin is the indication of being old-age.
- Bright and raised eyes is the indication of being adult.
- Dull and deep eyes means old-age.
- Bright and attractive body colour is the indication of being young age.
- Bright-less skin colour means old-age.
(3). By the shape and size of udder
- Small udder = Young age.
- Well shape medium udder = Adult.
- Bigger and loose shape = Old age.
(4). By hoofs
It is not a standard method of the age judging of a cattle.
- Small hoofs = Young age.
- Bright hoofs = Young age.
- Longer hoofs = Old age.
- Wider hoofs = Old age.
- Rough hoofs = Old age.
(5). By horns
We can predict the age of a cattle by counting the total rings which are present on the horn of the cattle.
Formula: First ring appears at the age of three years, after that one ring appears in every year.
Age of cattle in years = The nmber of rings on a cattle’s horns + 2
(6). By teeth
- It is a standard method of the age judging of cattle.
- Careful inspection of teeth is necessary.
There are two types of dental formula:
(a). For temporary teeth.
(b). For permanent teeth.
(a). Dental formula for temporary teeth
2 [ (Di × 0/4) × (De × 0/0) × (DP × 3/3) = 20]
Di = Deciduous incisors.
De = Deciduous canines.
DP = Deciduous premolars
(b). Dental formula for permanent teeth
2 [ (I × 0/4) × (C × 0/0) × (P × 3/3) × (M × 3/3) = 32]
I = Incisors.
C = Canines.
P = Premolars.
M = Molars.
Pairs of temporary teeth
A 0 – 2 weeks old calf has 4 – 8 temporary incisors in lower jaw.
Six-month old calf has fully developed temporary teeth.
First pair: At the age of 10 months.
Second pair: At the age of 1 year and 3 months.
Third pair: At the age of 1 year and 6 months.
Fourth pair: At the age of 1 year and 9 months.
Pairs of permanent teeth
First pair: At the age of 2 years.
Second pair: At the age of 2.5 to 3 years.
Third pair: At the age of 3.5 to 4 years.
Fourth pair: At the age of 4.5 to 5 years.
Incisors teeth start to rub at the age of 7-8 years.
Maximum damage has been done ate the age of 12th.
Chauhan, J. S. (2016). Modern Animal Husbandry and Allopathic. Submit Publication. ISBN – 8187251026.