Main Article: Determinate, Semi-determinate and Indeterminate Varieties of Tomatoes
In this post will know about varieties of tomato wit Determinate, Semi-determinate and the Indeterminate growth habit.
|S. No.||List of contents|
|1.||Tomato: General Information|
|2.||Determinate Varieties of Tomato|
|3.||Semi-determinate Varieties of Tomato|
|4.||Indeterminate Varieties of Tomato|
1. Tomato: General Information
|Hindi Name||Tamatar (टमाटर)|
|Scientific Name||Solanum lycopersicum L.|
|Chromosome Number||2n = 24|
|Type||Vegetable and table purpose|
|Classification||Common tomato, cherry tomato, tree tomato.|
2. Determinate Varieties of Tomato
The determinate varieties of tomato are the type of variety that grow to a certain height, with secondary branches being little or very few. The characteristic feature of this variety is that growth stops after flowering at the top of the branch.
Some basic features of determinate growth-habit tomato-variety
1. High Density Planting.
2. Low water requirement.
3. Limited life cycle.
Also Read: Cause of Greening in Potato Tubers
|1.||Sioux||1. High yielding.|
2. It is dwarf american variety.
3. Yield is about 200 – 250 q/ha.
|2.||Pusa Red Plum||1. It is cross between cultivated and wild tomato.|
2. Small fruits borne in clusters.
3. It is an early variety used for table purpose.
|3.||Pusa Red Dwarf||1. It is also an early variety.|
2. It is the result of cross between improved meeruti and red cloud.
3. Yield is about 400 q/ha.
|4.||Pusa Ruby||1. It is an early variety.|
2. Fruits are medium sized.
3. Fruits ripe uniformly.
4. Yield is about 350 q/ha.
|5.||HS110||1. It is selected from an exotic line.|
2. The plant bears large fruits.
3. Leaves are similar to potato.
3. Semi-determinate Varieties of Tomato
The semi-determinate varieties of tomatoes have the mixed quality of determinate and indeterminate varieties. The basic feature is medium growth habit with potential yield per acre.
Examples of Semi-determinate Varieties of tomato
|S. No.||Name of the variety||Features|
|1.||Arka Saurabh||1. The plant bears medium sized fruits.|
2. Suitable for ketchup.
|2.||Arka Ahuti||1. It is a pure line selection from Ottawa-60.|
2. TSS is 5.25%.
|3.||Arka Abha||1. It is a also a pure line selection.|
2. It is resistant to BW.
3. Yield is about 250 q/ha.
|4.||Hisar Lalit||1. It is the cross between HS101 and RB.|
2. It is resistant to root-knot nematode.
Also Read: GM Potato Varieties (Cultivars)
4. Indeterminate varieties of tomato
The indeterminate-growth-varieties of tomatoes are the varieties those height is not fixed. Thus, their growth and flowering-fruiting continues, simultaneously. The number of secondary branches is more. The biggest feature of this is that after the flowering in the top branches, growth does not stop, but it continues. In this way, other new branches come out with flowering and flowering continues.
1. Stalking is used in cultivation.
2. Mulching is also very important.
1. Per acre production is higher than the other varieties.
2. Suitable for polyhouse.
Examples of indeterminate varieties
1. Co 2
- It is selection from a Russian introduction.
- Ripe fruit could is orange-red.
- Yield is about 250 – 300 q/ha.
Also read: Perennial Redgram (Pigeon Pea)
- Tree Tomato is known as tamarillo. It’s scientific name is S. betaceum Cav.
- PKM is an induced mutant from local variety Annaji.
- Payout is suitable for ravinder agriculture.
- Narendra Tomato 1 is also known as NDT 5.
- Arka Meghwali is a new variety of tomato.