How to establish a kitchen or home garden at home?
|List of contents|
|Kitchen garden: Introduction|
|Raising a Kitchen garden|
|Parts of a kitchen garden|
|Selection of fruits, vegetables and flowers|
|Management of kitchen garden|
Also read: Drumstick is a highly profitable vegetable and it is very ideal for a home garden
01: Kitchen garden: Introduction
What is kitchen garden?
Kitchen garden is such a place which is near to house. In this type of garden, fruits, vegetables and flowers are produced to meet their own needs. The purpose of such production is self-satisfaction rather than commercial. It is alo known as home garden. Growing horticultural products in such place is called kitchen gardening of home gardening. Home garden is a mini laboratory for amateur gardeners. It also a small vegetable production unit.
- It directly plays role in production and environment.
- Home garden is very useful in urban areas where the rate of land is very high.
- It is possible to produce a balanced diet.
- The price of vegetables in a market is very hai. We can produce vegetable investing minimum cost.
- Home gardens are beneficial for human health.
- It is very interesting to work in own home garden.
Types of kitchen garden
- Vegetable garden
- Mixed home garden
Vegetable garden: Only vegetables are grown in this type of garden. 300 m² area is sufficient for 5-6 family members.
Mixed home garden: In this type of garden, along with vegetables and fruits, ornamental plants are also grown.
02: Raising a Kitchen garden
1: Establishment of Kitchen Garden
A kitchen garden is a complete model of vegetable, fruit and flower garden. Availability of land, water, etc., are the limitations of a KG.
2: Step in establishment of a home garden
- Selection of site
- Fencing of site
- Development of the land
- Structure of a home garden
Selection of site: No need to invest more time in selection of site. We have to establish it in available land. It should be established toward the east-south of a home so that plants may receive sufficient amount of sunlight. The direction of home should be toward west-north.
Fencing of site
- The height of fence should be 1.5 to 2 m.
- Fence should finish with angle rod and fork wire.
- This fence can be used to grow ornamentals.
- Live fence is also a good option.
- Regular pruning is necessary in live fencing.
Development of land
Also read: 5 Methods Of Soil Sterilization For Vegetable Cultivation
It is very important to level the land.
The slope of the land should be on that side where rain water can drain easily.
Mix clay soil if your soil is sandy. Now this soil will retain moisture for a very long period. Mix sufficient amount of farm yard manure or vericompost.
Layout of home garden
- It should be very beautiful
- The land use should be maximum
- Intercultural activities should be easy
03: Parts of a Kitchen Garden
- Garden path
- Irrigation canal
- Site for compost
- Place for nursery pots
- Vegetable rows
- Place for fruit plants
- Place for ornamental garden
- Width of path: Thr main path from gate to home should be 2-3 m wider, side paths should be 0.50 to 0.60 m wider.
- Shape of path: It may may be curved of straight.
- There shoud be enough numbers of paths.
- The width and the numbers of path should be adjusted according to available land area.
Irrigation and drainage channels
- Each section of garden should be connected to irrigation channels.
- The main irrigation channel is made of bricks.
- Irrigation pipes are very useful in a home garden.
- Drainage channels drain the excess amount of water.
- Wastes of kitchen and garden are accumulated in compost pit.
- The size of compost pit depends on our requirement.
- We can use this compost for the plants of garden.
Why store room?
Store room is useful for keeping equipment, seed, fertilizer, pesticides etc.
The size of nursery should be 3 × 2 m. It should be a raised bed nursery.
Places for nursery pots
Also read: Pot vegetable farming
- Both sides of the path, and both sides of ladder.
- Other scenic spots
Place for fruit plants
- The rows of trees should be toward north-west.
- There should be sufficient area for a fruit plant.
- A ring should be made around the fruit plant
- Important fruit plants are papaya, banana, guava, and lemon.
Place for ornamental garden
- This should separate from vegetables and fruit plants.
- Ornamental hedges separate an ornamental garden from vegetables and fruit plants.
- Components of an ornamental garden: edge, hedge, climbers, seasonal flowers, lawn, fountain and sculptures.
- The best place for an ornamental garden is the front place of home.
Also read: Ornamental Flower Plants for Home Garden
04: Selection of fruits, vegetables and flowers
- Fruit plants should be less bearing.
- Flowering and fruiting duration should be less.
- Example: Papaya, banana, pineapple l, strawberry, etc.
- Training and pruning practices of these fruit plants are very important.
- Don’t plant ber, jackfruit, and mango.
- Although the dwarf varieties are very suitable.
Also read: Basics of Brinjal (Eggplant) Grafting
- Grow grafted vegetable plants.
- Always grow expensive vegetables.
- Lessen the number of climbing vegetable plants.
- Always use the best variety of vegetables.
- Early and late varieties are ideal for a home garden.
- Pea, cowpea, beans etc., are the integral part of a home garden.
Ornamental and flower plants
Also read: Ornamental Flower Plants for Home Garden
- Show plants
- Seasonal flowers
05: Management of kitchen garden
- Maximum use of land
- Proper crop cycle
- Plant protection
Maximum use of land
No part of the land should remain vacant in any season. A ring should be made where there are trees and show plants. Crops like turmeric, ginger can be planted in between big plants. Bends and gutters are the best places for radish. It is better to take okra, cowpea and gourd crops in the rainy season. By planting flax in the garden, it works as a green manure.
Proper crop cycle
Also read: April Growing Vegetable Crops
It is very important to adopt proper crop rotation. Due to this the fertility of the land remains and vegetables are available throughout the year. Vegetables should be planted alternately in the same plot. Vegetables get rotten during rains, so they should be grown with the help of stalk. Grow only the best variety of vegetables. Buy seeds from a trusted source. Use only the recommended amount of fertilizer by fertilizing. Use more quantity of organic fertilizers.
Do not use more toxic drugs. Harvest the vegetable only after 5-10 days of spraying the pesticide. Use light and pheromone trap for pest control. To make a light trap, mix water and kerosene in a vessel and keep it under the light at night. Insects get attracted to it and fall down and die.
It is a very important step.
Pruning of fruit and ornamental plants should be done at the right time.
Regular cutting of lawn is the most important thing to consider.