Goat farming fundamentals and basic principles
There are some basic fundamentals of goat farming. We have to know about these basic principles to get success in goat farming business. This post describes the fundamental rules of goat farming. Read these important points carefully from start to last to manage your farm properly.
Basic fundamentals of goat farming
Also read: Scientific way of goat farming
- At the start of farm, buy animals from local people. Local breeds are resistant to climate changes. Don’t buy them in bulk from a animal market.
- Always purchase vaccinated animals. For this, buy them from a government goat farm.
- Follow vaccination schedule. Do it at the right time. First vaccine should be done at the age of 21 days.
- Keep spotting the diseased birds.
- Don’t keep the infected goats with healthy one. Separate them as soon as possible.
- Use lime or calcium carbonate to disinfect the goat house to keep it clean.
- Spot diseased animals. Start to treat these animals as soon as possible.
- Avoid loss of lineage: For this keep same breed of goat.
- Deworming: Worms are the major problem in goat farming. They make a herd very weak. Many medicines are available to overcome this problem.
- Age of deworming: Don’t deworm young goats. The interval of deworming for adults is 1 month. If not available, it is very necessary to perform it within each 3 months.
- Changing derworming machine: Don’t use the same derworming machine. This practice may cause infection.
- Care of you kids: Special care is required for young kids during the winter season. Death rate is high due to improper management.
- Use should make a special insulated room for kids and their mother goats.
- Keep only one best quality ram or male goat for a small farm.
- Castrate other animals to avoid loss in quality.
- Don’t keep old ram in farm.
- Always keep strong and very healthy ram for breeding purpose.
- Do regular inspection.
- Kid born during winter season are good.
- Mother goat should be healthy.
- Keep indigenous breed of female animal for breeding.
- Keep breeding record of female goat.
- A female animal should give birth to at least 2 kids at a time.
- Spray lime powder on the surface of the door of farm house to avoid contamination and infection.
- Always feed the animals with balanced food materials.
- Provide sufficient light during the day.
- Sunlight is very necessary for kids.
- Do proper light management.
- Design your farm in such a way that it get maximum sunlight.
- Design your farm in such a way that it get maximum air.
- Hence, make it fully ventilated. Proper ventilation avoids many diseases.
- Dip the animal feed in water before serving the goat during the summer season. It will supply necessary moisture.
- Feed them during the morning, afternoon, and evening.
- Regularly keep the feeders.
- Again, d regular monitoring of all animals during the morning and evening.
- Burry or burn the dead goats.
- Make a separate room for diseased animals.
- Don’t keep old female goats. Replace them with young animals.
- Never change the animal feed very fast. To change it, mix the new feed with 50% of old feed.
- Keep the temperature of a goat house below 90°F.
- Paint the roof of goat house with white colour paint.
Key phrases: Goat farming important points, goat farming principles.