reen diarrhoea in hens or chickens
What is ranikhet ?
Chickens are affected by a variety of diseases, including diseases caused by bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and many more. There are many diseases which can easily be identified due to their characteristic symptoms.
Among these diseases, ranikhet is the most deadly disease related to chickens. We can easily identify it on the basis of a particular symptom. It is a disease which causes diarrhea. See this symptom and its related picture under the heading 1.
Also read: Basic Principles of Poultry Farming
(1). Green diarrhoea symptom in hens/chickens
|Name of the disease||Ranikhet|
|Most characteristic symptom||Green diarrhoea or beat or dropping|
Ranikhet is one of the most deadly and lethal diseases of chickens. In India, this disease first originated from a place called Ranikhet, hence it was named Ranikhet. Once the disease spreads, the entire farm is destroyed.
See location of ranikhet in India on google earth
In the mesogenic form of this disease, green colored diarrhea occurs in chickens, which is a major symptom and hallmark of this disease.
Also read: How to Get Success in Poultry Farming?
(2). Stage wise symptoms (different symptoms)
1.1: Virulent form
- Diseases is more severe this form.
- This form lasts from three to four days.
- 100% death is possible.
- Hen suffers from high fever.
- Respiration is difficult.
- Whistling sound during respiration.
- Trembling of body due to fever.
- Frequent diarrhoea is very common.
- Paralysis of legs.
Also read: Bacterial Poultry Diseases Symptoms and Management
1.2: Mesogenic form
- In this form, death rate is low.
- The death rage ranges from five to twenty percent.
- A bird still faces problem in respiration.
- Green diarrhoea is the most characteristic symptom of this form.
- Symptom of paralysis in legs.
- The egg laying capacity reduces significantly.
1.3: Lentogenic form
- Death rate is relatively low.
- The respiration problem decreases.
- Swelling occurs in trachea.
- Death rate is very low in adults but with low egg laying capacity.
Also read: Major Virus Poultry Diseases and Management
Symptoms appear in young age chicks.
Major symptoms are as follows:
- Cough in chicks.
- Reverse walking.
- Bent neck between the two legs.
Also read: Backyard Poultry Farming Scheme
(3). Important questions answers
Question 01. Which type of disease R.D. is?
Answer: It is an infectious disease of poultry. R.D. spreads at a very fast rate. It is a specific disease of hen. Duck, turkey, pigeon, and dove are also affected.
Question 02. What is the of R.D.?
Answer: The cause of R.D. is Myxovirus.
Question 03. What is the another name of R.D.?
Answer: R.D. is also known as New Castle.
Question 04. What are the mode of infection of New Castle?
4.1: By the means of air.
4.2: By the dead and infected hens.
4.3: By food contamination.
4.4: By foreign birds, e.g., sparrow.
4.5: By farm workers.
4.6: By the new flock of hens.
4.7: By the wild birds, e.g., crow and eagle.
Question 05. What is the incubation period of New Castle?
Answer: The incubation period of this disease is 5 to 6 days.
Question 06: How to diagnose ranikhet?
Diagnosis of the disease
- Paralysis after the respiratory problems.
- Detection of the causing agent: Hemagglutination inhibition and serum neutralization methods.
- Use 50% glycerine on liver to get the exact idea.
Question 07. How to treat New Castle disease in poultry?
7.1: Vaccination of one week old chicks with R.D. Vaccine.
7.2: Vaccination of 6 to 8 weeks old chicks with freeze dried R.D. Vaccine. See help from the department of animal husbandry.
Also read: Poultry Farming Multiple Choice Questions
- What is green diarrhea in hen.
- Green colour beat in hen.
Last update: November 19, 2021.