Repotting of flower plants
|List of contents
|01. Introduction: What is repotting?
|02. Reasons of repotting a flower plant
|03. Method of repotting
01: What is repotting?
The ornamental flower plants are grown in pots. Each year, these plants are repotted in a new pot. Transferring these plant in each year in a new pot is known as repotting. Repotting is necessary in rose, bougainvillea, croton etc.
02: Reasons of repotting a flower plant
- Space limitation
- Soil sickness
- Pruning of roots
- Prevention of soil borne diseases
Pots have a lower space area that is the cause of the stopage of the developing roots. Space limitation is also a reason of the shrinking of roots. This condition is known as pot bound. Pot bound inhibits the activity and absorption capacity of roots, and the development of plants. Hence, this practice becomes important in each year. This problem is more prominent in small pots.
Different types of acids and bases ooze from the roots of plants and keep mixing in the soil. This causes soil sickness in pot-soil. Due to this, many plant nutritions become unavailable to the plants. Hence, plant are unable to absorb them.
Pruning of roots
- The pruning of roots of a pot plant is a very important thing.
- Pruning of roots cheks the unnecessary growth of the roots of pot-plant.
- Non-active roots are removed.
Prevention of soil borne diseases
- Space in a pot is limited.
- Plant pathogens may enter and grow very fast.
- Roots can’t grow out of the pots.
- Hence, roots become vulnerable to pathogens.
- This condition may also cause physiological disorders in plants.
- Repotting of plants solves this problem very effectively.
Also read: Pot vegetable farming
03: Method of repotting
Rainy season is the best time for repotting. Spring season is also an ideal time for reporting.
Do light irrigation before doing this. It will moist the soil of pot. Don’t make the soil very wet.
Give the plants a light blow by turning the pot upside down with two fingers. With this the lump of soil along with the plant will come out of the pot.
Scrape off the outer soil of a clod of compact soil with a stick. Doing this, don’t damage the roots of plant.
Do light pruning of roots.
Purchase a new pot.
Place the mixture of gravels, manure and leaves on the bottom surface of that new pot.
Transfer the plant in another pot. The depth of planting should be same as in previous pot. Now place the plant in new pot.
Fill the vacant portion of pot with farm yard manure.
Do light irrigation
- Keep the pot under shade condition.
- The shape of new pot should be similar to previous pot.
- Never break the earth ball of plant-roots.
- Breaking of earth ball may result in death of plant.
- Light pruning is performed according to the need of plant before repotting.
- Pruning gives physical balance to plant.