Ideotypes of different crops
What is ideotype?
Ideotype is a biological model which is expected to perform or behave in a predictable way within a known environment. In this post we will know about the Ideotypes of Different Crops.
Types of ideotype:
- Isolation ideotypes.
- Competition ideotypes.
Also read: Agronomy one liner
|(4). Rainfed upland rice|
|(6). Rainfed wheat|
Ideotypes of some field crops
(1). Ideotypes of wheat according to Donald (1968)
- Avoiding crop lodging : Plant should be short and strong.
- A large erect ear.
- More number of fertile florets per unit area.
- Presence of awns to increase the photosynthetic area.
- Presence of a single culm to avoid wasteful vegetative growth.
- Proper translocation of assimilates.
(2). Ideotypes of Redgram
- The growth of plant canopy should be fast at beginning.
- Start of productive phase after vegetative phase.
- Long floral axis.
- All flower should bloom at the same time.
- Root nodules should be active for a long time.
- Plant should be resistant to insect-pests.
Also read: Agronomy multiple choice questions
(3). Ideotypes of Maize
- Plant should have erect upper leaves.
- And, lower leaves should horizontal for proper air movement and receiving of sunshine.
- Plant height is 1.5 m.
- 2 – 3 cob on the nodes near the tassel.
(4). Ideotypes of Rainfed upland Rice
- Strong growth (85 – 100 days).
- Plant should be dwarf.
- Deep root system.
- Plant should have erect leaves.
- Early tillering.
- Fertile tillering.
- Synchronized flowering.
- Sufficient panicles.
- More and more grains per panicle.
- Moderate seed dormancy.
- Resistant to major and minor insect-pests.
(5). Ideotypes of Gram
- Productive phase must starts after vegetative phase.
- Plant should have erect branching.
- There should be 2-3 longer pods in the leaf axis.
- 2 – 3 seeds in each pod.
Also read: Types of cropping systems
(6). Rainfed Wheat
- Large number of spikelets.
- Strong root system.
- Deep root system.
- Large peduncle.
- Flat leaves parallel to soil.
- Grain development period should coinciding with mean maximum temperature of 25°C.