What is Papain?
Papain: Method, Procedure of Extraction >> Papain is a valuable proteolytic enzyme which helps in the digestion of protein rich foods. It is extracted from mature papaya.
What types of papayas are used for the extraction of papaya?
Matured, but unripe papayas are used to extract papain from papaya.
Also read: Cultivation practice of mango
How Papain is Manufactured?
Papain manufactured from the white latex of unripe papayas.
What are the Importance and Medicinal uses of Papain?
Similar to the animal enzyme pepsin papain is reputed for its medicinal and industrial uses. It is used for the treatment of ulcers, and also other ailments.
Otheredicinal qualities are:
1. Valuable medicines are prepared.
2. It is valuable in indigestion.
3. The chemical is used in diphtheria.
4. It checks over growing of moles.
5. Also useful in heart, liver and many skin diseases.
Skin blemishes are said to vanish when treated with papain.
Also read: Pomology multiple choice questions
What are the Industrial Importance and uses of Papaya?
1. Papain has many industrial uses and Importance.
2. Is usedin brewing industries.
3. The chemical is also used in textile industries.
In which product(s) papain is used?
1. Chewing gum.
2. Le_ther sanforization.
3. Processing of natural silk.
4. To free the milk.
5. Preparation of beauty cream.
6. And also preparation of toothpaste.
Uses in Different Countries
These countries export papain from Sri Lanka.
There are more possibilities of papain production in India.
Why should a farmer must care about producing papain?
A farmer must care about producing papain, because it is the extra source of income from farm.
Also read: Horticultural medicinal plants
Step by Step Method (Procedure) of Preparation of Papain
1. Required Equipments and Materials.
3. Size of the Fruits.
4. Best time for Making Cuts.
5. Making Cuts on Fruits.
6. Storing or Collecting Milk.
7. Repeating the Process.
8. Total Cuts.
9. Drying the Milk.
10. Making Powder.
Required Equipments and Materials
1. Razor (Blade), knife (stainless steel), bamboo stick, or small pieces of glass.
2. Glass pot, ceramic pot or aluminium pot.
3. Hand gloves.
5. Potassium metabisulphite (KMS).
Also read: Best grafting and pruning secateurs
Papain can be extracted from the beginning of rain and up to the November.
Size of the Fruit
Fruits are ready to be extracted..
1. When fruits are bigger than the size of well developed apple fruit.
2. When fruits are about 2.5 to 3 month old.
Best time for Making Cuts
1. Morning time is the best time to make cuts.
2. Milk flow is best from early morning to 11 am, so it is the best time to extract papain.
Making Cuts on Fruits
To make cuts on fruits, one of the following equipment is used..?
- Razor (Blade).
- Knife (stainless steel).
- Bamboo stick.
- Small pieces of glass.
Make 4 equal longitudinal cuts of fruit surface.
The depth of the cut should be 0.3 cm.
Wear hand gloves during making cuts.
Storing or Collecting Milk
Use one of the following equipment to store the milk:
Repeating the Process
Repeat the process 4 to 5 time at the intervals of 3 to 4 days.
1. The maximum numbers of cuts depend on the size of fruit.
2. When maximum cuts have been made, the distance between the two cuts should be 1 cm.
It takes 15-20 days to get all the milk sap from a fruit.
Also read: Low risk agribusinesses
Drying the Milk
1. Milk should be dried in sunlight.
2. It is dried in 100°F in oven for 24 hours.
Powder the dried papain by means of wooden mallets (बेलन). Or,
Use electrically operated granulators.
.Sieve the powder through 10 mesh sieve.
.Pack the powder in polythene bags in convenient quantities and seal them.
.Put the sealed bags in a tin container and seal it after evacuating air.
1. By one fruit: 3 – 10 gram papain.
2. By one papaya plant: 200 – 450 gram.
3. From one hectare: 7 – 8 quintal per hectare.
4. Benefit: 2,000.00+ INR per kg (powder).
How much papain a single man can extract?
By doing 10 – 12 hrs of work, a single man can extract 0.5 kg of papain.
How to Increase the yield of papain?
To increase the yield of papain, some growth regulators or plant growth hormones are used. The use of these growth regulator hormones also increases the quality of papain.
Some plant growth regulators are as followed:
1. 2, 4 – D (10 PPM).
2. 2, 4, 5 – T (25 PPM).
3. NAA (50 PPM).
4. GA (10 PPM).
Use one of the chemical after the opening of flowers.
What are some varieties suitable for papain production?
Some popular varieties are as follows:
1. Pusa delicious.
2. Pusa Majesty.
3. Pusa Dwarf.
4. Co.2 and Co.5 varieties of papaya released by Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore are ideal for papain production.
1. After the extraction of papain, the fruit doesn’t loss quality.
2. There is no change in taste.
3. There is no change in nutritional properties of the fruits.
4. Apply 0.5% KMS in milk before drying.
5. Exposure to air deteriorates the quality of papain, and vacuum sealing is therefore necessary.
6. For large scale manufacture of papain, use vacuum sealing machine and a granulator.
What is Papain and What are it’s Importance
Papain is liquid chemical which is used for various commercial purpose.
- Vegetable crops physiological disorder MCQ
- Fruit Crops Physiological Disorders MCQ
- Major Diseases of Poultry and Management
- Ornamental Flower Plants for Home Garden
- Ranikhet Most Characteristics Symptoms