What is pot vegetable farming?
Pot is a type of container which is used for growing ornamental plants. Plastic, cement, and earthen pots are the three types of pots.
Pot vegetable farming is a new concept of vegetable growing in which different vegetables such as tomato, brinjal, chilli, okra, etc., are grown in a pot.
|(2). Selection of pots|
|(3). Preparation of soil media|
|(4). Procedure of potting|
|(5). Raising of nursery|
|(7). Management practices|
Also read: Drumstick is a highly profitable vegetable
- Water management.
- Weed management.
- Nutrient management.
- Preparation of soil.
1.1: Water management
- Water management becomes easy.
- Installation of irrigation system is necessary.
- Water use efficiency is high.
- Hence, it is possible when water available is low.
1.2: Weed management
- Management of weed becomes easy.
- Appearance of weed is specific to a location.
- Emergence of weed is very low.
- No weedicide is necessary.
- Hand weeding is sufficient.
1.3: Nutrient management
- Nutrient management is relatively easy.
- Per pot requires small amount of nutrients.
- Application of nutrients is easy through fertigation method.
1.4: Preparation of soil
- Soil preparation becomes very easy.
- We have to prepare soil media.
Also read: What is seed plot technique in potato?
(2). Selection of pots
- Size should be uniform.
- It should be strong.
- Any type of pot should be resistant to heat.
- Pot should be intact.
- It should have small holes at bottom.
- Size of the pot shoud be considered.
(3). Preparation of soil media
Components of soil media are as follows:
- Garden soil.
- Farm yard manure.
Ratio of the components should 2:1:1
- Garden soil: 2 parts
- Sand: 1 part
- Farm yard manure: 1 part
Mix all the components thoroughly.
Also read: Vegetable crops physiological disorder mcq
(4). Procedure of potting
- Method 01: Place each pot at previously marked spots, then fill it with soil media.
- Method 02: Fill the pots using soil media, then place it at previously marked spot.
- Fill 3/4 parts of a pot with soil media.
(5). Raising of nursery
- Make a raised nursery.
- Sow the seed of plants at least one month before transplanting.
- Transplant 30 to 40 days old plant.
- Plants should have 3 to 4 leaves.
Also read: Top 10 farming business ideas
(7). Management practices
7.1: Installation of irrigation system
- Use drip irrigation system.
7.2: Weed management
- Apply hand weeding.
7.3: Nutrient management
- Apply it through drip system.
- Don’t damage the pots during harvesting.
- Do it again for new crop.
- Follow the same procedure.
- Initial cost is high.
- Repotting is necessary.
- Physical damages requires reinvestment.
Also read: Water activity in fruits and vegetables
For: Pot vegetable farming
- Plant Genetics MCQ (2023)
- Crop Regulation in Pomegranate
- Growth Substances (PGR) for Tomato
- Infectious and Non-infectious Plant Diseases
- Methods of Plant Breeding: MCQ
- Vegetable growing containers.
- Planters for vegetable growing.