Wild Berinjal Seeds: Germination Problem and its Solution
|List of contents
|01: Introduction to wild brinjal
|02: List of wild relatives of S. melongena
|04: Importance and uses
|05: What are the major causes of germination problem in wild brinjal seeds?
|06: How to get 80-90% germination in wild brinjal seeds?
01: What is wild brinjal?
Wild brinjals are the species of brinjal. There are many wild relatives of cultivated brinjal. These species are wild in nature. Wild species can be found growing on uncultivated lands, barren lands, bunds of ponds, corners of home gardens, edges of a home wall, nutrition gardens, ruins of old buildings and so on.
Product: Wild Brinjal Seed: Buy at Best Price
02: List of wild relatives of S. melongena
|Tropical soda apple
|Plants are perennial. They can survive in any situation up to 5-6 year or more than that.
|These plants are very vigorous. Stems are very, it is similar to the stem of a woody plant. The overall appearance, i.e., shape and size of plant is vigorous than a normal species of S. melongena.
|Resistance to plant pathogens
|These plants are resistant against many soil borne pathogen. All wild species of S. melongena are resistant or tolerant to wilt disease of Solanaceous crops.
|Tolerance to insect-pests
|These plants are very vigorous. They can tolerate the attack of many known insect-pests such as mealy bug and aphid. All wild species show a high degree of tolerance against the plant nematodes, such as root nematode.
04: Importance and uses
The bacterial wilt of brinjal, tomato, and chilli is one of the most serious and important disease of S. melongena.
Wild species of S. melongena can be used as rootstock for producing disease free plants.
05: What are the major causes of germination problem in wild brinjal seeds?
Problem of germination in wild brinjal or jungli baingan seeds, and its solution.
There are 3 major causes
- Maturity of the seed
- Quality of the seed
- Dormancy of the seed
Germination is near impossible when we sow the seeds extracted from an unripe fruit. Sometimes ripe fruits also contain non-viable seeds. Solid seeds of Solanum torvum sow high degree of dormancy. Due to the high degree of dormancy, germination is very difficult to achieve in Solanum torvum.
06: How to get 80-90% germination in wild brinjal seeds?
There are 3 ways to get good germination in wild brinjal seeds
- Use seeds extracted from a mature or ripe fruit.
- Always use quality seeds.
- Treat the seeds with any of the following treatments:
- Potassium Nitrate (KNO3)
- Gibberellic Acid (GA3)
6.1: Treatment using water
- Take a glass of water
- Fill the glass halfway with water
- Drown the seeds in water
- Let the seeds to soak water inside the glass for 24 hours or 1 day
- Remove the access water from the seeds before sowing in trays.
6.2: Potassium Nitrate (KNO3)
- Seek for Potassium Nitrate
- You can find it from a medical store
- Only use laboratory KNO3
- Make 1.2% solution of Potassium Nitrate.
- Dissolve the seeds in this solution for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, rinse the seeds by using tap water
- Remove the access water from the seeds before sowing in trays
6.3: Gibberellic Acid (GA3)
- Seek for Gibberellic Acid or GA3
- Use 100% concentration of Gibberellic Acid
- Make 500 ppm solution of Gibberellic Acid or GA3
- Dissolve the seeds in water for 24 hours or 1 day
- Remove the access water from the seeds after 24 hours before sowing in trays.
- Gibberellic Acid treatment gives better germination result than othe treatment.