Pectin rich fruits examples
What is pectin?
Pectin is a chemical substance which belongs to the group carbohydrate. It is a water soluble chemical substance. It forms a sticky material with sugar and acid. Pectin has D-galacturonic acid and it’s methyl esters. In this example we will see the Examples of some Pectin Rich Fruits.
Before this we will know about the general information of pectin.
|(1). Pectinic acid|
|(2). Proto pectin|
|(3). Pectic substances|
|(4). Characteristics of pectin|
|(5). Frequently Asked Questions|
|(6). Multiple Choice Questions|
Also read: Papain, Method, Procedure of Extraction
(1). Pectinic acid
- These acuds form jell.
- It represents that chemical substrates which have less methyl esters.
(2). Proto pectin
- These are non water soluble.
- Present in plants.
- They result in pectin after hydrolysis.
(3). Pectic substances
- Present in plants.
- Consists a broad units of Anhydrogalacturonic acids.
- Pectic substances are the part of plant tissue.
Also read: Alarm water
(4). Characteristics of pectin
- Contains long chains.
- It produces D-galacturonic and methyl alcohol after hydrolysis.
- Molecular mass is 25,000 to 200,000.
- It is a strong dextrorotatory.
- Anhydrogalacturonic acid bond ratio is 1:4.
- Pectin is a reversible colloid.
(5). Pectin rich fruit example
Also read: Water activity in fruits and vegetables
5.1 Rich in pectin
Guava, apple, orange, lemon, sour grapes, karonda, wood apple, berries, plum, carambola, roselle.
5.2 Rich in pectin but low in acid
Banana, papaya, jackfruit, sweet grapes, sweet apple, grape fruit, pear, carrot.
5.3 Low in pectin but rich in acid
Pineapple, sour apricot, peach, strawberry, carambola, unripe mango, aonla, ber, tamarind, lime, jamun.
5.4 Low in pectin and low in acid
Ripe apple, overripe guava, loquat, cherry, blackberry, feijoa, ripe mango, custard apple, sapodilla, bael.
(6). Frequently Asked Questions
Also read: Pomology Multiple Choice Questions
Question 01. Which stage of fruit has high content of pectin?
Answer: The unripe stage of a fruit has high content of pectin.
Question 02. What is the importance of pectin?
Answer: Pectin is an essential component of some post harvest products, for example:
Minimum pectin in jelly is 0.5%, and maximum pectin is 0.75%.
Question 03. Give an example of pectin rich temperate fruit?
Answer: Apple is a pectin rich temperate fruit.
(7). Multiple Choice Questions
Question 01. Which one of the following fruit is rich in pectin?
(b). Sweet potato.
(c). Ripe papaya.
(d). None of the above.
Question 02. Which one of the following is not a good source of pectin?
(c). Custard apple.
(d). All of the above.
Question 03. Pectin is a chief constituent of..
(c). Both a and b.
- Pasteurization Method of Compost Making
- Compost making for button mushroom
- Research work on African marigold
- Xanthophyll in Marigold: M. Sc. Thesis
- Propagation methods in fruit plants